* Most deserving homebuyers have been left in a lurch by Congress.
* This bill passed the House by a one sided option of
417 to 8 on April 6, 2000.
* This is the most lopsided bipartisan vote for a major housing bill passed in 20 years.
* It has been stuck in the Senate ever since.
* Are our senators too old, too slow and now asleep?
* Originally called the American Homeownership and Economic Opportunity Act of 2000, H.R. 1776
* How do you fail to vote for this bill?
* It provides new low down-payment mortgage options for millions of public and private school teachers, police officers, firefighters and other local government workers nationwide.
* The local government workers include - - primarily law enforcement and medical emergency personnel.
* This bill allows them to obtain one percent down payment mortgages up to $219, 849 through the FHA.
* Frenchie says, It is time for our senators to "walk the walk".
* Maybe Bush and Cheney could push this bill forward to help.
This page is dated November 2000